- For the Public
- Find a Lawyer
- Join the WBA
- Calendar of Events
- CLE Courses
- Media Center
- Members Only
- Pro Bono
- Bar Foundation
Nominating Committee accepting applications for 2014-2015 Board, Committees
It's your chance to be a leader.
The Westmoreland Bar Association’s Nominating Committee is accepting applications from members who would like to serve in leadership positions with the WBA.
The position of Vice President of the Board will be among the positions to be filled by election at the annual meeting. The Nominating Committee will consider applicants for nomination to the office of Vice President of the Board of Directors.
With the changes to WBA’s bylaws approved in 2011, the size of the WBA Board increased. Two directors were elected in 2011, two in 2012, and two in 2013. In 2014, in addition to the position of Vice President, there are again two openings for seats on the Board of Directors. There is one opening on the Membership Committee, and one opening on the Building Committee.
Responsibilities of Available Positions
The Vice President automatically succeeds the President-Elect at the expiration of the term of the President-Elect then in office, or if the office of President-Elect becomes vacant. In the absence of the President and President-Elect, the Vice President presides at any meetings and carries out the President’s duties.
Responsibilities of Board Members
The Board of Directors ensures that the WBA’s mission, services, policies, and programs are carried out. Applicants should have experience in WBA activities such as chairing a committee, attending bar functions, and being active in the bar community. In addition, they must be able to think clearly and creatively, and work well with people, individually and in a group.
Interested candidates should know that the responsibilities include attending each monthly board meeting, the annual board retreat, and planning retreat, all bar association and foundation activities, and serving at the president’s request.
Two positions are available, each for a three-year term. The Directors will:
- Attend all board and appropriate committee meetings and special events.
- Serve on committees and offer to take on special assignments.
- Inform others about the Westmoreland Bar Association and its activities and functions.
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities, such as reviewing the organization’s annual financial statements.
- Take responsibility and follow through on given assignments.
- Contribute personal and financial resources in a generous way according to circumstances.
- Open doors in the community.
Responsibilities of the Membership Committee
The Membership Committee is the first point of contact that most applicants for membership will have with the WBA. One position for a five-year term is available. The Membership Committee member will:
- Attend monthly committee meetings.
- Personally interview and educate applicants on the workings of the WBA, including committee assignments, staff responsibilities, and new lawyer opportunities such as the mentor program, the Young Lawyers, and Pro Bono.
- Make recommendations for membership eligibility and class (participating or associate).
Responsibilities of the Building Committee
The Building Committee is responsible for maintaining the management and upkeep of Bar Headquarters. One position for a five-year term is available. The Building Committee member will:
- Attend quarterly committee meetings.
- Be knowledgeable about the utilization of Bar Headquarters for business and socialfunctions.
- Help to develop the annual budget for operation of the building.
- Make recommendations to Board of Directors on matters of concern in building upkeep.
The Nominating Procedure
The Nominating Committee—Chair Dara A. DeCourcy, Esq., Joseph W. Lazzaro, Esq., David S. DeRose, Esq., Kerri Ann Shimborske-Abel, Esq., Samuel R. Coury, Esq., Terrance C. Ferguson, Esq., and Annaliese P. Masser, Esq.—will meet in December to begin preparation of a slate of nominees to present to the Board of Directors and the membership of the Westmoreland Bar Association.
Any member interested in running for any of these positions should submit an application to the Chair of the Nominating Committee c/o the WBA. A candidate may submit a completed application by first-class mail, fax (724-834-6855), or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). The WBA must receive the application by 5:00 pm on December 12, 2013.
For more information about any of the positions, contact a Nominating Committee member.